Throughout the whole of January, Alcohol Concern are running a public health campaign known as Dry January. The challenge is to abstain form alcohol for the whole month of January; 31 alcohol free days! The aim is to raise awareness about the harms of alcohol which is the UK’s biggest risk factor for death, ill-health and disability for people aged 15-49.1
Alcohol Concern are fundraising to support 6 national charities
- Action for Children
- Breast Cancer Now
- British Liver Trust
- Hospice UK
- World Cancer Research Fund
Details of how to sign up, fundraise and download the apps is all available on the Alcohol Concern website – https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/fundraising-dry-january
If you have already signed up and are halfway through your month you may be finding that your initial enthusiasm is starting to wane, how can you be sure to make this dry January a success?
Here are our top tips to steering clear of the drink this January.
- Avoid your trigger situations – This month instead of meeting your friend in the pub, meet in a coffee shop so there isn’t an option to drink. If evening drinking is your weak point, keep your evenings busy doing things. Go and visit some friends, start an evening gym class or decorate the spare room!
- Remind yourself of the health benefits – We all know reducing our alcohol intake has positive health benefits but what actually are they? You will find you sleep improves. Alcohol although it is a sedative doesn’t give you a quality night’s sleep. You skin will improve its appearance, you may find you lose weight as there as many hidden calories in alcohol.
- Visualise your savings – Put your saved money in a jar so you can actually see how much you save when you don’t drink. Keeping a glass jar with all the money you have saved in it, each time you avoid having a drink you can really see how this is god for your pocket as well as your health.
- Get support from your friends and family – Family and friends can encourage you to keep at it, support you and will not put you in situations where they know you will struggle. By getting them to sponsor your Dry January you will know they are on board. Perhaps they may come along for the ride too!
- Alcohol Concern
[Imagery is property of Alcohol concern]